[John_Lit] Re: Vocabulary in Jo 14-17

  • Stevan Davies
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 1999
      > 18 46
      > 19 62
      > 20 18
      > 21 26
      >
      > Best wishes
      > Wieland >>
      >
      > Hey, Wieland, give yourself credit! This is fascinating! Only, I would love
      > to know "Ah, see --- what?". Do you have a theory that explains these stats?
      > Thanks in advance!

      I'd really like to see percentage stats that give new words
      against total words in the chapters. Do you have software to
      do this? Or can we safely assume all chapters are reasonbly
      equal in length?

      Steve Davies

    • Wieland Willker
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 1999
        To satisfy Steve Davies:
        Ch. 14-17 have the smallest number of completely new words (column B), they
        have also the smallest number of different words (column C). But one has to
        take into account also, that the total number of words is very small (column
        D). But, as the last two columns show: chapter 14-17 is still outstanding.

        A=chapter
        B=Numer of new words, that are not in any of the chapters before
        C=total number of different words in this chapter
        D=total number of words in this chapter

        A B C D B/C B/D
        =================================
        1 198 198 350 100,0 56,6
        2 81 143 222 56,6 36,5
        3 61 163 277 37,4 22,0
        4 97 223 395 43,5 24,6
        5 54 193 361 28,0 15,0
        6 68 239 452 28,5 15,0
        7 42 201 362 20,9 11,6
        8 42 215 399 19,5 10,5
        9 26 147 281 17,7 9,3
        10 33 172 306 19,2 10,8
        11 58 238 407 24,4 14,3
        12 39 248 417 15,7 9,4
        13 28 168 309 16,7 9,1
        14 8 130 248 6,2 3,2
        15 10 119 226 8,4 4,4
        16 12 136 241 8,8 5,0
        17 2 101 198 2,0 1,0
        18 46 192 323 24,0 14,2
        19 62 229 368 27,1 16,8
        20 18 162 276 11,1 6,5
        21 26 172 262 15,1 9,9

        There is something different with ch. 14-17, but what it is is not so clear.
        Is it
        a) these chapters are more John than John? or
        b) these chapters are too John to be John? or
        c) these chapters are pure John?

        Best wishes
        Wieland
        <><
      • Wieland Willker
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 1999
          Another thing that is not so clearly visible in the table, but obvious in a
          graphical representation is, that the ch. 11 (Lazaros) and 18/19 have a
          significantly higher number of new words, than one would expect from an
          e-function behaviour.
          This may be chance, though. One has to study all that in much more detail.

          With the new search tools in Bibleworks one has an infinite number of search
          posibilities which allows for accumulating enormous amounts of statistical
          data.
          Do it, it's fun!

          Best wishes
          Wieland