RE: [John_Lit] trial

  • Staley, Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2001
      Frank moloney and i supervised an excellent doctoral thesis
      by Martin Asiedu-Peprah on the Sabbath Conflicts in John 5 and 9. Martin
      had examined the rib pattern in the OT and drew on that to argue very
      completently that what we have in John 5 and 9 is not a trial but a two
      party legal dispute which is another legal form within
      Judaism. If a matter can be resolved between both parties then the matter
      ends. If it can't then it must go before a third party for judgement ie
      Pilate.

      Mary, this sounds like a very productive approach. I, for one, look forward
      to seeing Martin's work in print. For those of you interested, I also deal
      with the "trial motif" in JOhn 7-8 in my paper discussed here earlier in the
      year ("Liar Liar"). There I argue that the argument in John 7-8 is NOT
      "forensic" (the better rhetorical term is "judicial") but rather
      deliberative. That is, the focus of argumentation for Jesus is more future
      oriented than past oriented (e.g., if anyone is willing to do his will . .
      .).

      Jeff Staley
    • PLP/MCdeB
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2001
        The dissertation of Martin Asiedu-Prepah sounds interesting, as do the
        comments by Jeff Staley. I probably could have benefited from their works in
        an article on Pilate which I wrote several years ago but which has just been
        published. For those interested: "The Narrative Function of Pilate", in G.J.
        Brooke and J.-D. Kaestli, Narrativity in Biblical and Related Texts, BETL
        CXLIX, 2000, pp. 141-158. There is also an article on Pilate from a
        narrative-critical angle in the same volume by Christopher Tuckett who comes
        to conclusions opposite to my own.
        Martin de Boer
        Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam