trial

  • Mary Coloe
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2001
      The notion of trial is one that I too have taken on board until very
      recently when Frank moloney and i supervised an excellent doctoral thesis
      by Martin Asiedu-Peprah on the Sabbath Conflicts in John 5 and 9. Martin
      had examined the rib pattern in the OT in his licentiate program and drew
      on that to argue very completently that what we have in John 5 and 9 is not
      a trial but a two party legal dispute which is another legal form within
      Judaism. If a matter can be resolved between both parties then the matter
      ends. If it can't then it must go before a third party for judgement ie
      Pilate. Martin did excellent exegetical work on these chapters and I think
      both Frank and I have moved away from 'trial' language until Pilate. While
      the language in Jn 5 and 9 is forensic this is appropriate within this
      legal form of disputation. That's enough from me - Martin's doctorate is
      being published this year by WUNT so you might like to keep your eye out
      for it.
      Dr. Mary Coloe pbvm
      School of Theology
      Australian Catholic University