Re: [John_Lit] John as Trial

  • Bob Wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
      Lorna & Kevin,

      Thanks for the information about legal terms in John's Gospel: this
      will add more fuel to my fire and I am interested in reading both the
      scripture mentioned & both of the books. However, since the 2 books
      are not currently on my bookshelf, I am interested in knowing if they
      deal specifically with the Gospel or do they add discussion on the
      legal nature of the 1st Epistle?

      ==========
      Kevin also wrote:
      > I am intrigued by your reference to John's interest in written
      > things as a reflection of the trial or legal themes in John/1 John.

      When building my grammatical outline of 1 John (remember diagramming
      sentences?), The pre-eminence of the 'writing/have written' sections
      stood out so much that I boxed them separately to emphasize what I
      felt was John's emphasis. Legal document or not, the author
      definitely wanted us to know what he was doing and why! I agree with
      you, Kevin, on the greater 'feel' of destiny flowing deliberately
      from the pen. What an awesome privilege he had!

      Because of HIM
      Bob Wilson
      Centerport, PA
    • Lorna Wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
        Bob,

        "Truth on Trial" deals specifically with the 4G although there are 8 brief
        references made to the 1st epistle in the book.

        Take care and best wishes,

        Lorna Wilson