Re: [John_Lit] John as Trial

  • Lorna Wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 11:32 AM
      Kevin,

      If not already mentioned, I recommend, Andrew Lincoln's book, "Truth on
      Trial: The Lawsuit Motif in the Fourth Gospel" by Hendrickson, Nov 2000 ISBN
      1-56563-282-6 for further studies on trial motifs in John.

      Lorna Wilson

      >From: "Kevin Anderson" <forks@...>
      >To: <johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com>, "Robert Wilson"
      ><robtdwilson@...>
      >Subject: [John_Lit] John as Trial
      >Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:14:07 -0400
      >
      >Greetings!
      >I just read your post on the Johannine discussion site. Francis Maloney, in
      >the second volume of his three-volume commentary (Signs and Shadows:
      >Reading John 5--12) deals with the conflict episodes as a trial. His
      >heading for the section dealing with 5:31-47 is entitled "Witness and
      >Accusation" (p. 19), and he makes specific reference to trial language on
      >pages 23-24, 26, 95, and 111 (for starters).
      >
      >I am intrigued by your reference to John's interest in written things as a
      >reflection of the trial or legal themes in John/1 John. I have noted John's
      >concern for "written-ness" in terms of the author of John being more
      >self-aware than the Synoptic authors or Paul as a producer of a literary
      >piece that will perdure as an authoritative document that in fact
      >continues and is a vehcle for the revelation begun in Jesus, the Word
      >("These things I have written that you may believe...."). Perhaps put
      >another way...the Synoptics record the revelation, while John's Gospel and
      >the Paraclete further it.
      >
      >Respectfully,
      >
      >Kevin Anderson

    • Bob Wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 4:02 PM
        Lorna & Kevin,

        Thanks for the information about legal terms in John's Gospel: this
        will add more fuel to my fire and I am interested in reading both the
        scripture mentioned & both of the books. However, since the 2 books
        are not currently on my bookshelf, I am interested in knowing if they
        deal specifically with the Gospel or do they add discussion on the
        legal nature of the 1st Epistle?

        ==========
        Kevin also wrote:
        > I am intrigued by your reference to John's interest in written
        > things as a reflection of the trial or legal themes in John/1 John.

        When building my grammatical outline of 1 John (remember diagramming
        sentences?), The pre-eminence of the 'writing/have written' sections
        stood out so much that I boxed them separately to emphasize what I
        felt was John's emphasis. Legal document or not, the author
        definitely wanted us to know what he was doing and why! I agree with
        you, Kevin, on the greater 'feel' of destiny flowing deliberately
        from the pen. What an awesome privilege he had!

        Because of HIM
        Bob Wilson
        Centerport, PA
      • Lorna Wilson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3 9:23 PM
          Bob,

          "Truth on Trial" deals specifically with the 4G although there are 8 brief
          references made to the 1st epistle in the book.

          Take care and best wishes,

          Lorna Wilson