John as Trial

  • Kevin Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 10:14 AM
      Greetings!
      I just read your post on the Johannine discussion site. Francis Maloney, in the second volume of his three-volume commentary (Signs and Shadows: Reading John 5--12) deals with the conflict episodes as a trial. His heading for the section dealing with 5:31-47 is entitled "Witness and Accusation" (p. 19), and he makes specific reference to trial language on pages 23-24, 26, 95, and 111 (for starters).

      I am intrigued by your reference to John's interest in written things as a reflection of the trial or legal themes in John/1 John. I have noted John's concern for "written-ness" in terms of the author of John being more self-aware than the Synoptic authors or Paul as a producer of a literary piece that will perdure as an authoritative document that in fact continues and is a vehcle for the revelation begun in Jesus, the Word ("These things I have written that you may believe...."). Perhaps put another way...the Synoptics record the revelation, while John's Gospel and the Paraclete further it.

      Respectfully,

      Kevin Anderson