Secular Sadducees?

  • toioutous_zatei@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 7:05 AM
      To some extent, in the modern sense of the word, I find it
      odd that the Sadducees could be designated "religious."

      A group that did not believe in the resurrection, life after death,
      seems more "secular" to me than "religious." I note that they are
      frequently mentioned as part of the political structures of Judaism,
      and not frequently, if at all, as "religious."

      I have even heard a modern Jew say that one could be atheistic
      and still be a "good" Jew.

      I sense that they were assumed to have a religious dimension to them
      because they "accepted" the written Torah, but that, in itself, seems
      more of a ethnic marker. After all, with very little effort, Jesus
      was able to silence them, even to the extent that the Pharisees
      needed to come to their rescue (Matt. 22:34).

      My interest is not so much in seeking to justify one position or the
      other, but simply to ask if others have come across works that
      examine a similar idea to the one I've expressed above, namely, an
      exclusively "secular" Sadducee party.

      Thank you,

      Susan Moore
      Sugar Land, TX