Re: [John_Lit] Still on a "god" - the dividing line

  • toioutous_zatei@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
      James:

      You wrote

      > However, all the evidence seems to suggest that
      > in the period in which Philo, John and Justin wrote
      > the Logos WAS the dividing line, merging into both
      > sides and yet keeping them 'clearly' distinct. And so
      > it is that Philo can describe the Logos as 'neither
      > uncreated as God, nor created as you, but between the
      > two extremes', while John puts it in terms of the Word
      > being both 'God' and 'with God'.

      Yes! I quite agree with your observation here. And the reason
      I wanted to asked if John presented Jesus as "a YHWH" (not a god)
      was based on this dividing line that John traverses. A god would
      have clearly been (on or) "below" the Line, while YHWH was "above"
      it. And
      the only reason many have placed Jesus "below" this line it seems
      is because John is approached with a Philonic limitation to the
      LOGOS, one John essentially denies.

      The reason the LOGOS (not Philo's logos, but John's LOGOS) was
      PROS TON QEON (YHWH) is because John's LOGOS was "above" this line
      (EN ARCHi), a radical concept in comparison to Philo. And to
      distinguish himself from current thought on the logos, John
      has "this" LOGOS bringing into existence PANTA, which would include,
      at least possibly, Philo's subordinate logos.

      The rigid Jewish Monotheism of that day, and today, could not
      understand Jesus' claim to be "one" with YHWH (John 10). How John's
      LOGOS was "above" this dividing line IN THE BEGINNING may seem
      contradictory, unless we can understand in what sense Jesus says he
      was "one" with God. On the LOGOS, John's departure from Philo seems
      to me at least manifestly there, but more questions are raised than
      answers!

      Susan Moore
      Sugar Land, TX