Re: [John_Lit] sour wine again

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
      Ross, my question concerned why you identify the
      vinegar as the same drink as the wine mixed with gall.
      I am still not clear on this.

      Let me cite carefully:

      Matthew 27:34 -- oinon meta cholas (=wine with gall)

      Matthew 27:48 -- oksous (=vinegar)

      Mark 15:23 -- esmurnismenon oinon (=myrrh-spiced wine)

      Mark 15:36 -- oksous (=vinegar)

      Luke 23:36 -- oksos (=vinegar)

      John 19:29-30 -- oksous (2X) + oksos (=vinegar)

      So, my question is this: Do you have a reason for
      thinking that the wine referred to above is the same
      drink as the vinegar referred to above?

      I can see that a harmony of the gospels might use Luke
      to attempt to identify the two drinks as the same
      drink, but why would Matthew and Mark use two
      different words for the same drink? Do you have a
      hypothesis?

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City