"Jews" vs. "Judaeans"

  • George Brooks
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30 11:12 AM
      Jack,

      You wrote:

      "... the frequent use of "The Jews" in the NT texts should be
      correctly translated as "The Judeans," meaning the Temple cultus.
      In this light it is not necessary to make Jesus a Samaritan but just
      the Galilean he was."

      I will be persuaded of this point, but I would like to know where
      we can substantiate this rather *specific* meaning of the phrase
      "the Jews". I've seen lots of papers where the researcher
      makes the opposite argument... that the phrase refers to people
      who dwell in Judea, but aren't necessarily part of the Temple
      cultus.

      So how do we make our understanding of the phrase "the
      Jews" definitive?

      George