[John_Lit] Jeffery Hodges's articles: "Ethical Dualism" and "Gift-Giving"

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 25, 2001
      In my previous message, I made a slip of the tongue
      (or whatever the equivalent). I said:

      "Let me be more precise. There is a substance dualism
      in John -- between matter and spirit. What I meant
      here (perhaps clear from the larger context of the two
      papers) is that the ethical dualism of evil and good
      does not map isomorphically onto the substance dualism
      of matter and spirit. A close reading of both of my
      papers should help to clarify my meaning. At any rate,
      we can discuss this point, among others."

      I should have said that John's substance dualism is
      "between flesh and spirit" -- or perhaps "between the
      world and spirit". John's Gospel does not even mention
      matter. My basic point is that while there is a
      substance dualism in John, this substance dualism does
      not ground John's ethical dualism.

      Sorry for the careless use of terminology.

      447-791 Kyunggido Osan-City

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/