Re: [John_Lit] Discussion of Jo-Ann A. Brant's SBL2000 Paper

  • Thomas (Tom) Butler
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2001
      Dear Frank McCoy and other J.L. Listers,
      We are very close to agreement regarding your commentary on
      Jn. 13 (written on Feb. 25), with one significant difference. I have purposely avoided reference to Philo's works in my study, suspecting that the connection between the FG and the Pentateuch could be seen without it. My premise is that the Jewish intelligentsia - as you call them - could well have been involved in the writing of the FG, using the midrash method in an expert fashion. Their intention, in other words, was to utilize the symbolic language of the Pentateuch to recount the Jesus story, thus recycling -to use a late 20th century concept - the sacred symbolic language of the Mosaic system of worship into Christian theology. They were intentionally maintaining the sacred elements of the law as they told the gospel story. They believed that Jesus was the fulfillment of the law, that Jesus fulfilled the law, and that the language of the law was required to tell God's story in terms of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.