RE: [John_Lit] Jews again

  • Piet van Veldhuizen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2001
      About the common origin of Jews and Samaritans:
      Personally I believe that they share a common origin, but many Jews in
      John's time did not believe so, or did not want to believe so. They based on
      2 Kings 17,24-41, and held that the five foreign ethnic groups deported into
      the Samaria region by the Assyrians were the actual origin of the Samaritans
      of Jesus' days. That is why the Samaritans, as Josephus tells us, used to be
      called Cutheans by the Jews.
      I hold that John by telling the story of the Samaritan woman in terms of the
      wooing stories of Genesis 24 and 29 (about finding a bride in faraway land
      which at the same time is not foreign, but ancestral ground) shows that he
      holds Jews and Samaritans to share a common offspring, but this in itself
      might be a polemical stand against those Jewish circles that denied the
      Isrealite identity of the Samaritans.

      Greetings,
      Piet van Veldhuizen
      Rotterdam