Re: [John_Lit] Temple/body, etc.

  • kaare.fuglseth@hibo.no
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2001
      Frank Moloney wrote:
      >Dear Group,
      >
      >I know that Mary has mentioned this a couple of times, but a very
      >important study of this whole issue is to appear in March:
      >
      >M. Coloe, God Dwells with Us. Temple Symbolism in the Fourth Gospel
      >(Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, 2001).
      >
      >While still in Australia, I directed this work in its doctoral dress.
      >It has been entirely reworked for publication as a fine book. I
      >recommend it highly.

      Just to add a few comments on temple symbolism and recent publications.

      Temple symbolism seems to be a beloved issue, cf. these recent publications
      also treating the Johannine evidence. I wondered if any one else on the
      list has read them and what they think of them.

      As far as I can see, both follow two different types of temple
      interpretation in the NT: support of the temple or (almost) total
      replacement.

      Paesler, K. (1999). Das Tempelwort Jesu. Die Traditionen von
      Tempelzerstörung und Tempelerneuerung im Neuen Testament. Forschungen zur
      Religion und Literatur des Alten und Neuen Testament; 184, Vandenhoeck &
      Ruprecht, Göttingen

      Ådna, Jostein (2000). Jesu Stellung zum Tempel. Die Tempelaktion und das
      Tempelwort als Ausdruck seiner messianischen Sendung. Wissenschaftliche
      Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament. 2. Reihe; 119, Mohr, Tübingen

      (While we are speaking of German literature on the temple and temple
      symbolism, see also
      Beate Ego, Armin Lange and Peter Pilhofer (ed.) (1999). Gemeinde ohne
      Tempel. Community without Temple. Zur Substituierung und Transformation des
      Jerusalemer Tempels und seines Kults im Alten Testament, antiken Judentum
      und frühen Christentum. Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen
      Testament; 118, Mohr, Tübingen).

      Ådna uses traditional historical-critical approaches and argues that the
      temple prophecy concerning the destruction must be connected to the temple
      "cleansing" in a symbolic way: Jesus himself spoke and acted to demonstrate
      the replacement of the temple, much in accordance with what John seems to
      argue. Paesler on the side is more reluctant to such a thesis.

      The two approaches demonstrate at least how difficult it is to reach a
      final conclusion regarding the historical Jesus and his relationship to the
      Jerusalem temple?

      Yours,

      Kaare Fuglseth
      Bodø College
      N-8049 Bodø
      Norway
      Tel.: + 47 75517700
      Fax : + 47 75517798
    • Thomas (Tom) Butler
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2001
        Dear Frank and Mary,
        Would either of you be willing to provide a brief synopsis of God Dwells With Us?

        I know that Mary has mentioned this a couple of times, but a very
        important study of this whole issue is to appear in March:

        M. Coloe, God Dwells with Us. Temple Symbolism in the Fourth Gospel
        (Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, 2001).

        While still in Australia, I directed this work in its doctoral dress.
        It has been entirely reworked for publication as a fine book. I
        recommend it highly.

        Frank Moloney, SDB
        The Catholic University of America
        Washington, DC 20064