Temple/body, etc.

  • Moloney, Francis J.
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2001
      Dear Group,

      I know that Mary has mentioned this a couple of times, but a very
      important study of this whole issue is to appear in March:

      M. Coloe, God Dwells with Us. Temple Symbolism in the Fourth Gospel
      (Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, 2001).

      While still in Australia, I directed this work in its doctoral dress.
      It has been entirely reworked for publication as a fine book. I
      recommend it highly.

      Frank Moloney, SDB
      The Catholic University of America
      Washington, DC 20064
    • kaare.fuglseth@hibo.no
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2001
        Frank Moloney wrote:
        >Dear Group,
        >
        >I know that Mary has mentioned this a couple of times, but a very
        >important study of this whole issue is to appear in March:
        >
        >M. Coloe, God Dwells with Us. Temple Symbolism in the Fourth Gospel
        >(Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, 2001).
        >
        >While still in Australia, I directed this work in its doctoral dress.
        >It has been entirely reworked for publication as a fine book. I
        >recommend it highly.

        Just to add a few comments on temple symbolism and recent publications.

        Temple symbolism seems to be a beloved issue, cf. these recent publications
        also treating the Johannine evidence. I wondered if any one else on the
        list has read them and what they think of them.

        As far as I can see, both follow two different types of temple
        interpretation in the NT: support of the temple or (almost) total
        replacement.

        Paesler, K. (1999). Das Tempelwort Jesu. Die Traditionen von
        Tempelzerstörung und Tempelerneuerung im Neuen Testament. Forschungen zur
        Religion und Literatur des Alten und Neuen Testament; 184, Vandenhoeck &
        Ruprecht, Göttingen

        Ådna, Jostein (2000). Jesu Stellung zum Tempel. Die Tempelaktion und das
        Tempelwort als Ausdruck seiner messianischen Sendung. Wissenschaftliche
        Untersuchungen zum Neuen Testament. 2. Reihe; 119, Mohr, Tübingen

        (While we are speaking of German literature on the temple and temple
        symbolism, see also
        Beate Ego, Armin Lange and Peter Pilhofer (ed.) (1999). Gemeinde ohne
        Tempel. Community without Temple. Zur Substituierung und Transformation des
        Jerusalemer Tempels und seines Kults im Alten Testament, antiken Judentum
        und frühen Christentum. Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen zum Neuen
        Testament; 118, Mohr, Tübingen).

        Ådna uses traditional historical-critical approaches and argues that the
        temple prophecy concerning the destruction must be connected to the temple
        "cleansing" in a symbolic way: Jesus himself spoke and acted to demonstrate
        the replacement of the temple, much in accordance with what John seems to
        argue. Paesler on the side is more reluctant to such a thesis.

        The two approaches demonstrate at least how difficult it is to reach a
        final conclusion regarding the historical Jesus and his relationship to the
        Jerusalem temple?

        Yours,

        Kaare Fuglseth
        Bodø College
        N-8049 Bodø
        Norway
        Tel.: + 47 75517700
        Fax : + 47 75517798
      • Thomas (Tom) Butler
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 10, 2001
          Dear Frank and Mary,
          Would either of you be willing to provide a brief synopsis of God Dwells With Us?