Re: [John_Lit] BD 20:2-10 and Liar Liar

  • butlerfam5@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2001
      On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:43:20 -0800 "Staley, Jeffrey"
      <staleyj@...> writes:
      > This is what I would call a question of intertextuality, a central
      issue
      > in my paper as well. My Question is, do listers think that an
      Osiris/FG
      > reading is "more legitimate" than my "Liar Liar"/John 8 reading? If
      so,
      > on what grounds? It seems to me that we are always reading texts in
      > light of/along with other texts (whether we want to admit it or not),
      but
      > only certain types of intertextual readings "count" as "scholarship."

      Jeff,
      I'm not sure I'm qualified to judge whether one intertextual comparison
      is "more legitimate" than any other, especially when one of the texts is
      from a discipline in which I am not trained. I can comment, however,
      as I did in the article to which you have responded, that material
      connections
      within the FG hold more influence in my mind than material connections
      between the FG and other texts. The assumption that I am making is that
      the author (or editor) of the FG is choosing to use such material
      connections
      for a purpose that can be discerned and supported within the context (or
      narrative world) of the FG itself. Conclusions based upon such
      "evidence"
      would seem harder to disprove than conclusions based upon a similarity
      between a text in the FG and one that is clearly not written by the same
      author / editor.