RE: [John_Lit] liar liar

  • Staley, Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2001
      but I would n't agree that the AW pericope belongs here in the Tabernacles
      setting.

      To say that AW "belongs" in the Tab setting would be too strong of a
      depiction of my argument. I think one can find "reasons" for why it may
      have been placed there, or even better, some narrative connections to its
      (AW's) surroundings in John 7-8. But that is not to say that it belongs in
      John 7-8 as opposed to elsewhere.

      I too suggested a chiasm structure running across 7 and 8
      (leaving out the AW) in an article in Pacifica 12 1999 - "Like Father Like
      Son: The Role of Abraham in Tabernacles".

      Thank you, Mary, for this lead. I will try and get a copy of the article
      from you!

      I suggested these chapters be arranged

      Introduction 7:1-13
      Moses - issue of origins 7:14-24
      Who is Jesus - his origins and destiny 7: 25-36
      Jesus' first reply - Living water. 7:37-39
      Jesus' Identity - Schism 7:40-52
      Jesus' second reply - Light 8:12
      Who is Jesus - his origins and destiny 8:13-30
      Abraham - the issue of origins 8:31-58
      Conclusion 8:59.

      This is pretty close to the chiastice structure I see/saw there.

      In this sturucture the centre is the schism within Jesus' opponents on
      the
      issue of Jesus' identity and the irony of this schism in this Feast of
      Ingathering.
      Apart from the structural question I see no thematic links with
      Tabernalces.

      On the issue of the Trial motif - I like to flag a book soon to be
      published by WUNT which challanges the notion of Harvey that Jesus is
      constantly on trial across the Johnannine gospel. This book is the
      result
      of a Doctoral Thesis by Rev. Martin Asiedu-Peprah and he proposes that
      there is not a tri-party trial until the Trial before Pilate. Up until
      this time there is another form of legal disputation a two party
      juridical
      controversy similar to the OT "rib" pattern.

      This is a great lead, thanks Mary. And thanks, too, for a wonderful
      website!

      JEff

      SUBSCRIBE: e-mail johannine_literature-subscribe@egroups.com
      PROBLEMS?: e-mail johannine_literature-owner@egroups.com