RE: [John_Lit] Jeffrey Staley's "Liar, Liar"

  • Staley, Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 18, 2001
      HODGES:
      Perhaps a chiasm emphasizes not merely the
      center but also the beginning and end since the end is
      a return to the beginning. Would this have relevance
      for textual chiasms such as the one you find in John?
      "Return" is a pretty significant theme in John, isn't
      it? Maybe the entire text is a chiasm.

      STALEY:

      Others have argued that the entire text is a chiasm, of course. I am not
      convinced by the various theories. For the latest on this, see Breck, "The
      Shape of Biblical Language." I find your point of emphasizing not just the
      middle--but also the beginning and end, a very important point. Would that
      all chiastic mutterers were listening! I think chiasms or concentric
      structures CAN OFTEN be helpful in delineating the "boundaries" of narrative
      units in biblical (JOhannine) literature (for the reader or for the
      "author?? that's the question?), but I am hesitant to put all my
      interpretive marbles in middle of the ring, so to speak.

      There, I think I have said once again what I said before when I was "cut
      off" from the land of the living.

      thanks

      Jeff Staley