[John_Lit] The "dove" of John 1:32

  • Neil Booth
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 1999
      I think it is generally true that John is not big on circumstantial detail
      in telling the story of Jesus, and that such detail is included only where
      John sees it as significant in some way. So what significance did John
      attach to the dove in John 1:32? He could have omitted the phrase, "as a
      dove," but he didn't. He saw something of note there, but what was it? It
      wasn't that Jesus would bring peace between God and man (though he does of
      course) because the dove did not become a symbol of peace until many
      centuries after Jesus' baptism. So what was it? Noah released a dove from
      the ark and it brought back to Noah an olive leaf
      that spoke of a new beginning, a fresh start (Genesis 7:11). Is that the
      reference ... or one of them? Then there is the fact that, under the
      Levitical law, the dove was a sin offering for the poor (Leviticus 12.6);
      but that only applied in the case of ritual uncleanliness after childbirth,
      so there can hardly be a reference there. But what about the prophet Jonah?
      In Hebrew, the word for "dove" is YONFH - the name of the only OT prophet
      who had the truth of his message underlined by resurrection. He was brought
      back to life after spending three days being as good as dead in the belly of
      a great fish. Is that the significance? Matthew 12.38-41 might suggest that
      that's how Jesus himself had taken it. What do others think?

      Neil Booth
      Bradford, England

      For Booth's Bible Brief visit http://www.bbb.ndo.co.uk

      There is nothing we can do to make God love us more
      There is nothing we can do to make God love us less
      --------------------<((>< Philip Yancey ><))>--------------------

    • Jon Peter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 19, 1999
        What do others think?

        > Neil Booth
        ==================

        From my "doves" dossier:

        "The dove is the lovebird par excellence and the symbol and attribute of the
        love goddesses, Ishtar, Atargatis, Aphrodite. At Babylon in the doorway of
        the Temple of Ninmah (Exalted Lady) R. Koldewey found a terracotta model of
        a dove in a brick box… At Beth-shan in the older strata of the Astarte
        Temple were found small shrines with figures of doves… Doves and sparrows
        accompanied Aphrodite (Hesiod Theogony 188-200). The dove's prodigeous
        erotic propensities made it powerful medicine in love magic, from ancient to
        recent times …" Marvin H. Pope, AB Song of Songs p. 399-400

        Best regards,

        Jon