Re: [John_Lit] Devotional Literature

  • Lorna Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2001
      Bill,

      Good question...so I did a quick search on CBD and came up with a few
      possible candidates (see below).

      Lorna Wilson
      ----------------
      The Gospel of John
      By: Arthur W. Pink
      Type: Hardcover
      Vendor: Zondervan Corp.
      ISBN: 0310311802
      CBD Stock Number: WW10566
      Dimensions: 6 X 8 3/4
      Retail Price: $49.99
      CBD Price: $34.95
      You Save $15.04 (30%)

      Availability: In Stock

      of this century. As one concerned with the practical application of
      scripture to the life of the believer this commentary on the Gospel of John
      is easy to read and devotional in approach. A good commentary for lay
      people.

      Opening the Gospel of John
      By: Philip W. Comfort & Wendell C. Hawley
      Type: Hardcover
      Vendor: Tyndale House
      ISBN: 0842345965
      CBD Stock Number: WW45965
      Dimensions: 6 X 9
      Retail Price: $14.99
      CBD Price: $4.95
      You Save $10.04 (66%)

      Availability: In Stock

      practical tool for preaching, teaching, or personal study will take anybody
      verse by verse through the entire Gospel of John. Brief surveys of verses
      for each chapter, definitions of key words and phrases, exegetical notes,
      focal points for preaching, and more inspire your next lesson or sermon. 375
      pages, softcover from Tyndale.

      Encounters With The Living Christ
      By: Robert B. Setzer Jr.
      Type: Trade Paperback
      Vendor: Judson Press
      Publication Date: 1999
      ISBN: 0817012885
      CBD Stock Number: WW7012885
      Dimensions: 8.5 X 5.5
      Retail Price: $16.00
      CBD Price: $12.75
      You Save $3.25 (20%)

      Availability: In Stock

      encounter the living Christ for oneself. Through a writing style that is
      devotional, scholarly, and personal, Bob Setzer clearly communicates this
      over-arching intent of John's gospel. This book provides fresh insights for
      readers already familiar with the Fourth Gospel and a challenging welcome to
      newcomers to its pages. Setzer is a worthy guide for the modern pilgrim
      searching for the way, the truth, and the life." Larry Matthews, Pastor,
      Vienna Baptist Church, Vienna, VA.

      ----------------
      Bill Skelton asked:
      >Can anyone recommend good devotional, as opposed to historical/critiacal,
      >books or commentaries on any of the Johannine Literature?
      >
      >Bill Skelton
      >wskelton76@...
      >

      >SUBSCRIBE: e-mail johannine_literature-subscribe@egroups.com
      >PROBLEMS?: e-mail johannine_literature-owner@egroups.com

    • Bill Skelton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2001
        This is wonderful Lorna. Thank you so much. I will be leading a Study on the
        Gospel of John for a group of people with troubled lives and will probably
        pick up one or two of these books. Is there anything you think would be
        particularly useful in a forum like that?