BD 21:7

  • Felix Just, S.J.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2001
      Happy New Year, Johannine colleagues and friends!

      Sorry for the delay in posting starter messages for discussion on John 21:7
      and 21:20-24! I didn't have much computer access while being out of town
      for the past week, and meanwhile the discussion has digressed slightly to
      some issues not directly related to the BD -- although in a sense everything
      in and about GJohn is inter-related, of course!

      Since we will begin our online discussions of the SBL papers next Monday, we
      don't have much time for John 21 right now, but some comments about these
      passages have already been made in past weeks and we can come back to the BD
      topic later, if people desire. Meanwhile, over the weekend, if anyone has
      some ideas that focus on John 21:7, please respond to this message (but for
      John 21:20-24, please reply to the next message, to keep the subject
      headings straight):

      As usual, the question is what this passage (quoted here in NRSV for
      simplicity) tells us about the identity of "that disciple whom Jesus loved"
      (21:7):

      21:1 After these things Jesus showed himself again to the disciples by the
      Sea of Tiberias; and he showed himself in this way. 21:2 Gathered there
      together were Simon Peter, Thomas called the Twin, Nathanael of Cana in
      Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two others of his disciples. 21:3 Simon
      Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We will go with
      you." They went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught
      nothing. 21:4 Just after daybreak, Jesus stood on the beach; but the
      disciples did not know that it was Jesus. 21:5 Jesus said to them,
      "Children, you have no fish, have you?" They answered him, "No." 21:6 He
      said to them, "Cast the net to the right side of the boat, and you will find
      some." So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in because
      there were so many fish.

      21:7a That disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!"

      21:7b When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on some clothes,
      for he was naked, and jumped into the sea. 21:8 But the other disciples came
      in the boat, dragging the net full of fish, for they were not far from the
      land, only about a hundred yards off. 21:9 When they had gone ashore, they
      saw a charcoal fire there, with fish on it, and bread. 21:10 Jesus said to
      them, "Bring some of the fish that you have just caught." 21:11 So Simon
      Peter went aboard and hauled the net ashore, full of large fish, a hundred
      fifty-three of them; and though there were so many, the net was not torn.
      21:12 Jesus said to them, "Come and have breakfast." Now none of the
      disciples dared to ask him, "Who are you?" because they knew it was the
      Lord. 21:13 Jesus came and took the bread and gave it to them, and did the
      same with the fish. 21:14 This was now the third time that Jesus appeared to
      the disciples after he was raised from the dead.

      Felix
      Felix Just, S.J. - Dept. of Theological Studies
      Loyola Marymount University - 7900 Loyola Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 - Ph (310) 338-5933
      Homepage: http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust