Gender of BD and etc., 19:26-27

  • Kevin Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2001
      Tom Butler posted re: the possibility of the grammatically neuter application of maQetes in John. I am intrigued by that, and offer some broad observations that support the ambiguity of the gender of the BD.

      1). The male disciples in the FG almost always look bad--or at least less than worthy of imitation.

      2) The female characters (disciples?) in FG almost always look good, and are more clearly the characters the author of the FG wants the reader to note as exemplary.

      3). It is difficult to imagine the circumstances which would prompt or allow a male author to write with such a bias in the historical time frame and setting in which FG was composed (whatever that setting might have been).

      4). If indeed the BD were one of the prominent disciples (Thomas, Paul, James and others have been suggested) the authority and acceptablility of the FG could only have been strengthened by revealing the identity of the BD. Even so, the author of the FG chose to keep the identity of the BD a secret...and so successfully that we are having this discussion :)!

      Respectfully,
      Pr. Kevin Anderson, M.Div, STM
      Forks Lutheran Church, Pennsylvania, USA