Re: [John_Lit] Paul as the BD?

  • Ron Price
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2000
      Billy Evans wrote:

      >I was just wondering....how the early Christians would feel if they knew
      >that the evangelist made the whole situation up regarding Paul being the BD.
      >When I imagine how I would feel as a first century believer about the Last
      >Supper's unrealiable recount of the BD laying his head next to Jesus because
      >someone wanted me to think it was Paul, well....there aren't enough words to
      >express my disappointment.

      Billy,
      Your comment raises much wider questions. For critical scholars today
      would accept that many of the statements in the NT are "unreliable" if
      taken at their face value as historical records.

      > Why would the writer of the FG take such a chance?

      There wasn't much risk involved from such a skilful author. Those who
      recognized the author's vivid imagination here would have seen it as
      support for their hero, Paul. But nearly 2000 years later most
      Christians apparently accept the story at its face value.

      >That no patristic writer discusses such an above senerio seems to be a vote
      >against Paul being the BD

      Perhaps. But like many Christians today they were reluctant to
      criticize NT statements which on the surface appear to be simple
      accounts of what happened.

      >Can you provide some imagination from your perspective for me?

      Sorry, I don't understand this sentence.

      Ron Price

      Weston-on-Trent, Derby, UK

      e-mail: ron.price@...