BD 20:2-10

  • Felix Just, S.J.
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27 12:20 AM
      We've continued discussing issues arising from John 13:23-25 mostly,
      although I thought there might be more discussion on John 19:26-27. So
      if anyone has more comments on the second crucial passage (at the foot
      of the cross), please speak up.

      Meanwhile, let's also move on to the third text, in which "the other
      disciple, the one whom Jesus loved" is mentioned. What does 20:2-10
      tell us about the identity of this person? Again, here's the NRSV text
      to get us going:

      20:1 Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary
      Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from
      the tomb.

      20:2 So she ran and went to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one
      whom Jesus loved, and said to them, "They have taken the Lord out of
      the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him." 20:3 Then Peter
      and the other disciple set out and went toward the tomb. 20:4 The two
      were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached
      the tomb first. 20:5 He bent down to look in and saw the linen wrappings
      lying there, but he did not go in. 20:6 Then Simon Peter came,
      following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen wrappings lying
      there, 20:7 and the cloth that had been on Jesus' head, not lying with
      the linen wrappings but rolled up in a place by itself. 20:8 Then the
      other disciple, who reached the tomb first, also went in, and he saw
      and believed; 20:9 for as yet they did not understand the scripture,
      that he must rise from the dead. 20:10 Then the disciples returned to
      their homes.

      20:11 But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb. As she wept, she bent
      over to look into the tomb; 20:12 and she saw two angels in white,
      sitting where the body of Jesus had been lying, one at the head and the
      other at the feet...

      Felix Just, S.J. -- Dept. of Theological Studies
      Loyola Marymount University -- 7900 Loyola Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 -- (310) 338-5933
      Website: http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust