re: John 13:23-25

  • Kevin Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2000
      Pr. Kevin Anderson
      forks@...

      I'm new to the group, and enjoy the serious study of Scripture, and especially John. But how to get from John's Gospel to speculating about the furniture in the upper room, or the company Jesus kept on his way to Jerusalem for a Passover? Can't we just read John? What questions prompted the author to write the Fourth Gospel? Those questions matter in studying FG, it seems to me. The houtws question and the connection it creates between
      the well and the last supper (if there is one) is a legitimate one. But we do not know, because John has not told us, whether Jacob the patriarch equals James the brother of our Lord, whether there was a "secretary," or whether indeed the demonstrative word houtws implies that the disciples went on to demonstrate that Jesus lay down "like this," flopping on a chaise-lounge.

      Again...can we just read John?