BD 19:26-27

  • Felix Just, S.J.
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2000
      If anyone has further thoughts about John 13:23-25 (or if someone else
      wants to join the discussion), feel free to continue posting comments on
      that text. But let's also go on to the second text - John 19:26-27.

      Again I post an extended text from the NRSV for e-mail simplicity, but
      please cite the Greek text of particular phrases you wish to comment
      on.

      What does this passage tell us about "the disciple whom he loved"?

      19:23 When the soldiers had crucified Jesus, they took his clothes and
      divided them into four parts, one for each soldier. They also took his
      tunic; now the tunic was seamless, woven in one piece from the top.
      19:24 So they said to one another, "Let us not tear it, but cast lots
      for it to see who will get it." This was to fulfill what the scripture
      says, "They divided my clothes among themselves, and for my clothing
      they cast lots." 19:25a And that is what the soldiers did.

      19:25b Meanwhile, standing near the cross of Jesus were his mother,
      and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.
      19:26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing
      beside her, he said to his mother, "Woman, here is your son." 19:27
      Then he said to the disciple, "Here is your mother." And from that hour
      the disciple took her into his own home.

      19:28 After this, when Jesus knew that all was now finished, he said
      (in order to fulfill the scripture), "I am thirsty." 19:29 A jar full of
      sour wine was standing there. So they put a sponge full of the wine on
      a branch of hyssop and held it to his mouth. 19:30 When Jesus had
      received the wine, he said, "It is finished." Then he bowed his head
      and gave up his spirit.

      Felix Just, S.J. -- Dept. of Theological Studies
      Loyola Marymount University -- 7900 Loyola Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90045-8400 -- (310) 338-5933
      Website: http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~fjust