RE: [John_Lit] Themes in FG

  • Hardjono, Raynor
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2000
      Hi all,
      It would be remiss of me not to acknowledge your generous contributions* to
      my brainstorming cry for help.
      Here is an amended list of themes for my treatment of FG:
      And I am still open to further elaborations!

      1 Literary genre
      (logos; prologue; dualism; Greek and Jewish heritage)
      2 Fulfilment
      (or the replacement of the Old as promised in scriptures and the prophecies
      with the New in Christ)
      3 Christology
      (the Identity of Jesus; who is the Son of Man)
      4 The Authority of Jesus
      (Jesus and his Father, and the 'I am' statements)
      5 Belief and discipleship
      6 Women in the Gospel of John
      (the Samaritan woman, Martha and Mary, the three Mary's)
      7 The Jews, Jesus' conflict with them
      (The 'post-temple period' scenario - aposynagogoi)
      8 Jewish Feasts
      (Tabernacles, Passover, Sabbath)
      9 The use of symbols in John
      ("signs" in the Gospel of John; the eucharist)
      10 The Paraclete
      (pneumatology, life of the spirit)

      *To Lorna Wilson on prologue, Billy Evans on signs, and Horace Jeffery
      Hodges on dualism and eucharist, Felix Just on Christology and the
      Paraclete, Fran Waddams and Tom Thatcher on The Holy Spirit.

      Ray H