Re(2): [John_Lit] for dissertation

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2000
      johannine_literature@egroups.com writes:
      >Most commentaries note the title "Spirit of truth" as being common to
      >Johannine literature and Qumran, and almost no other ancient Jewish
      >texts; and also the dualistic opposition of Spirit of truth and spirit
      >of deceit in 1 John 4.
      >
      >David

      Thanks, David, an important connection here. I'm impressed with the ways
      John Breck draws those connections in _Spirit of Truth_ (St Vladimir's
      Press, 1991), and of course, Gary Burge's work (_The Annointed Community_)
      is a standard treatment of Johannine pneumatology.

      If any are interested, I'll be presenting a paper in the Christian
      Theology and Bible Group (Saturday, Nov. 18, Nashville SBL meetings,
      1:00-3:30) entitled: "Truth and Liberation: The Work of the Johannine
      Parakletos and the Transformation of the Self."

      PA

      Paul N. Anderson
      Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
      George Fox University
      Newberg, OR 97132
      503-554-2651