680Re: [John_Lit] John 13

  • Richard Anderson
    Jul 27, 2000
      > Concerning the Lazarus parable, Richard Anderson
      > wrote:
      >
      > > the rich man dressed in purple is a description of
      > > the high priest

      > Why do you say this? Why couldn't this be a King? Or
      > perhaps simply a rich man wearing expensive clothing?

      William Barclay stated in his Daily Study Bible series on Luke commenting on
      this verse wrote: "That is the description of the robes of the High Priests.
      . . ."

      > Richard Anderson then added:
      >
      > > for I have five brothers is an explicit reference to
      > > one of the reigning high priest, who as one of the
      > > sons of Annas had at least three brothers who served
      > > as High Priests and one famous brother-in-law,
      > > Caiaphas. At least one grandson of Annas served as
      > > high Priest.
      >
      > How does this add up to five brothers?

      We know that Annas had a large family. I only included the ones I could
      specifically identify as family members serving as high priests. It is my
      opinion that I am expressing. see below.

      > Richard Anderson then added:
      >
      > > The plot thickens because there was a man named
      > > Theophilus who served as high priest from 37 to 41
      > > C.E.
      >
      > I don't see what the connection is here. Could you
      > elaborate on your meaning?

      Luke addressed his gospel to "most excellent Theophilus"

      Richard H. Anderson
      see my published articles for add. details at
      http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic