677Re: [John_Lit] John 13

  • Richard Anderson
    Jul 25 7:10 PM
      Roberto, greetings:

      > The other question you ask about Lazarus is an >interesting question.
      Luke
      > has a curious passage concerning Lazarus. Here it is
      >
      > "There was a certain rich man who dressed in a purple robe and fine linen

      [rich man dressed in purple is a description of high priest]

      (27) "Then he said, 'I beg you Father, send him to the house of my father,
      > for I have five brothers, so that he may witness to them, lest they also
      come
      > to this place of torment.'

      for I have five brothers is an explicit reference to one of the reigning
      high priest, who as one of the sons of Annas had at least three brothers who
      served as High Priests and one famous brother-in-law, Caiaphas. At least
      one grandson of Annas served as high Priest.

      The plot thickens because there was a man named Theophilus who served as
      high priest from 37 to 41 C.E.

      > (29) "Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the prophets. Let them hear
      > them.'
      >
      > (30) "But he said, 'No, Father Abraham, but if someone from the dead
      should
      > go to them they will repent.'

      If this high priest was a member of the saduccees, he did not believe in the
      resurrection nor did he believe in heaven except possibly on the day of
      judgment for all of humanity. I am not certain as what the saduccees
      believe about angels and angelic messengers.

      > It is strange that Jesus gives us a parable with a proper name. The
      gospels
      > almost never give proper names in the narrative, never mind in a parable.

      I'd
      > like you to focus on the last verse. It speaks of someone rising from the
      > dead. The confluence of the name Lazarus and the idea of raising someone
      from
      > the dead is not, I believe, coincidence.

      There are a number of parallels between Luke and John

      >Could Luke's
      > parable be an allusion to Lazarus' raising and the fact >that it did not
      > persuade most of the Jews to follow Jesus?

      Yes. This chapter (16) in my opinion was directed to the high priest just
      as the previous chapter (15) was directed to the pharisees.

      Richard H. Anderson

      http://www.geocities.com/gospelofluke
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic