676Re: [John_Lit] John 13

  • Jgabriel22@aol.com
    Jul 25 6:07 PM
      In a message dated 7/25/00 6:19:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      rsavari@... writes:

      << One of the my students asked this question concerning "Satan entering into
      Judas". The
      question was if Satan entered into Judas then it was of no fault of Judas to
      betray Jesus. Satan used Judas as a pawn.>>

      The answer to the riddle of Judas' responsibility reached by your student I
      believe is a very logical answer and very possibly what the writer of the 4th
      gospel intended. Of course, as a Catholic I realize my church has so
      demonized Judas through the centuries that your student's answer could not
      possibly be accepted by my church. To my church Judas is complicit in Jesus'
      death.

      The other question you ask about Lazarus is an interesting question. Luke
      has a curious passage concerning Lazarus. Here it is

      "There was a certain rich man who dressed in a purple robe and fine linen and
      every day he feasted in great splendor. (20) At his gate was placed a certain
      man named Lazarus, covered with sores, 21) who was desiring to eat the food
      falling from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

      (22) "When the poor man died he was carried away by the angels to the arms of
      Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried. (23) And in Hell he was in
      torment and he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his
      arms. So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus
      that he may dip his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am
      suffering in this flame.'

      (24) "But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that you received good things in your
      life, and likewise Lazarus the bad things. Now he is comforted here and you
      are suffering. (26) And besides all this, between us and you there is a great
      chasm firmly fixed, so that anyone wishing to pass from here to you cannot,
      neither can anyone cross from there to us.'

      (27) "Then he said, 'I beg you Father, send him to the house of my father,
      for I have five brothers, so that he may witness to them, lest they also come
      to this place of torment.'

      (29) "Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the prophets. Let them hear
      them.'

      (30) "But he said, 'No, Father Abraham, but if someone from the dead should
      go to them they will repent.'

      ( 31) "But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets,
      neither would they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.'"

      It is strange that Jesus gives us a parable with a proper name. The gospels
      almost never give proper names in the narrative, never mind in a parable. I'd
      like you to focus on the last verse. It speaks of someone rising from the
      dead. The confluence of the name Lazarus and the idea of raising someone from
      the dead is not, I believe, coincidence. In the gospel of John, Lazarus'
      raising does not bring people further to the cause of Jesus but actually
      precipitates his death. I wonder if there was not such a memory in the minds
      of early Christians which only John and his group put to paper. Could Luke's
      parable be an allusion to Lazarus' raising and the fact that it did not
      persuade most of the Jews to follow Jesus?

      Roberto Scrofani
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic