675Re: [John_Lit] John 13

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Jul 25, 2000
      In a message dated 7/25/2000 6:19:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      rsavari@... writes:

      << One of the my students asked this question concerning "Satan entering into
      Judas". The
      question was if Satan entered into Judas then it was of no fault of Judas to
      betray Jesus. Satan used Judas as a pawn. Using the premise that God is all
      and governs all including the Devil, then it is safe to say that God allowed
      / condoned the action of Satan entering Judas. My student's conclusion is
      that if anyone is to take the responsibility, it should be God and Satan
      because man's nature is corruptible and has no power against God. >>

      I think one can deduce from the text, not that Judas committed no fault, but
      that evil in many of its forms has dimensions to it that surpass the human
      subject and his capacity to act. There is such a thing as a "mystery of
      evil", something beyond the realm of pure moralism. John is interested in
      things at this level of consideration (the great conflict between the powers
      of darkness and the power of Light), but this does not mean that he totally
      ignores or would deny the realm of human activity and responsibility. The
      latter, however, is neither the total explanation nor the focus of John's
      particular interest. Whether one can conclude directly from John's
      presentation that Judas was culpable is debatable. But it is here that the
      principle of sola scriptura reveals its limitations. Philosophy must enter
      in, and does so in fact whether one denies or asserts the human
      responsibility for evil.

      Leonard Maluf
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic