      From: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com [johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com] on behalf of Brendan Gerard [bg@...]
      Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 2:58 PM
      To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [John_Lit] cognition in John

      Dear Colleagues

      In 1959 Ignace de la Potterie argued that in John's Gospel oida and ginosko are not interchangeable: rather, the former denotes "une connaissance qui s'impose," whereas the latter refers to knowledge arrived at by ordinary processes of cognition. (I. de la Potterie, "oida et ginosko. Les deux modes de connaissance dans le quatrième évangile." Biblica 40 (1959) 709-725.)

      Does anyone know of any studies which either confirm this conclusion or subject it to serious criticism?

      Thanks!

      Brendan Gerard

      --
      Revd Brendan Gerard M.A., S.S.L.