5981Re: [John_Lit] Re: Echoes between Jn 1-2 and Passion Narrative?

  • Jgibson
    Nov 28, 2011
      > From: steve levine
      >
      > I see the connection between Cana and Cross - Mary asked to see water
      > turned to wine and she later saw blood turned to water (it is not yet
      > my time). ________________________________

      Please note that you are reading things into the text _that are not
      there_ to get your desired parallel.

      Nowhere in the Cana story does Mary ask to see /anything/, let alone
      water turned into wine, nor does John say that at the crucifixion Jesus
      blood turned to water. What comes forth from Jesus' side according to
      John is blood AND water. Moreover, is there any noted declaration of
      equivalence in GJohn between water/wine and blood as there is in the
      Synoptics?

      Before you make any more such claims as you made above, I suggest that
      you actually pay closer attention to what the text of John actually says
      than you apparently now do.

      Jeffrey

      --
      ---