5977Echoes between Jn 1-2 and Passion Narrative?

  • Keith Yoder
    Nov 25, 2011
      Some features I've noticed in common between Jn 1-2 and the PN in 18-19:

      a. 1:37-39
      i. Two disciples follow Jesus:
      18:15 ἠκολούθει δὲ τῷ Ἰησοῦ Σίμων Πέτρος καὶ ἄλλος μαθητής
      1:37 οἱ δύο μαθηταὶ ... ἠκολούθησαν τῷ Ἰησοῦ
      ii. One disciple named, the other un-named
      iii. Named disciple = Andrew the brother of Simon Peter (1:39)
      = Simon Peter himself (18:15)
      iv. Jesus says "What do you seek?" (1:38 τί ζητεῖτε)
      Jesus says "Whom do you seek? (18:4 τίνα ζητεῖτε) - different context
      from the two disciples
      v. "it was about the nth hour" (1:39 ὥρα ἦν ὡς δεκάτη ~ 19:14 ὥρα ἦν ὡς
      ἕκτη)

      b. 1:19-21
      i. Identity of Jesus' associate is questioned and denied three times:
      Jesus' Forerunner, John (the Baptist) (1:19-21)
      Are you the Christ/Elijah/the Prophet?
      Jesus' Follower, Simon Peter (18:17-18, 25-27)
      Are you His disciple/His disciple/in the garden with Him?
      ii. 1st and 2nd time denied with οὐκ εἰμί (1:20-21 = 18:17,25)
      iii. John "did not deny" (1:18 οὐκ ἠρνήσατο)
      Simon Peter "denied" twice (18:25,27 ἠρνήσατο)

      c. 2:1-12
      i. Mother (μήτηρ) of Jesus plays a key role in one paragraph
      "mother" (his/of Jesus) mentioned 4 times (2:1, 3, 5, 12)
      "mother (his/of Jesus) mentioned 5 times (19:25, 25, 26, 26, 27)
      She is only mentioned elsewhere in John at 6:42, "is this not Jesus...we
      know his father and his mother...?"

      Fortna maintained that John's Passion source was originally a separate
      document from his Signs source. These echoes above make me wonder if
      either there was cross-pollination at some point between the two sources
      (if we follow Fortna), or if an editor deliberately reworked one or the
      other to create these textual harmonics. If we suppose that the
      tradition of Peter denying Jesus three times existed prior to the
      original form of John's passion narrative, then that might indicate a
      priority in time for the Passion narrative, so the echoes are actually
      in Jn 1-2.

      Any comments, or pointers to some helpful discussion already published?

      Thanks,
      Keith Yoder
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic