5972Re: [John_Lit] Verbatim agreements between John and the Synoptics

    Aug 12, 2011
      Hi there, Mark, an important topic, I think.

      Here are some of the places I've addressed the similarities; interestingly,
      none of them are identical in terms of use or exact meaning, so literary
      dependence theories fall short in terms of evidence. And yet, particular
      contacts or agreements between John and each of the Synoptic traditions do
      present themselves, so sorting out the likely character of the connections
      is important to establish.

      See 31 general agreements between John and the Synoptics, 44 memorable
      sayings common to John and Mark, and 13 possible contacts between the
      Johannine and Q traditions in The Fourth Gospel and the Quest for Jesus
      (Part IV), and my overall theory of interfluentiality in Part III.

      The two sections of John that are similar to the Synoptics are John 6 and
      John 18-19. My analyses of these (confirming the overall theory) are found
      in The Christology of the Fourth Gospel (chs. 5-8) and my chapter on John
      18-19 in the Louvain collection on the Death of Jesus (Peeters 2007).

      Take care,

      Paul Anderson