5692RE: [John_Lit] bibliographical references: the historical unreliability on the sayings of Jesus in GJohn

    Jan 25, 2009
      Thanks, Jeffrey, the most extensive analysis of the literature regarding historical problems with John's presentation of Jesus that I am aware of is covered in the first half of John, Jesus, and History, Vol. 1 (SBL Press, 2007). Strengths and weaknesses of various views are assessed for a sustained critical engagement. Here's the table of contents, and most of the major books and essays on the subject are covered in the five literature reviews, and those sources are listed in the bibliography. In the second introductory essay I cover analytically six reasons why John's historicity is questioned and six reasons why John has been considered off limits for Jesus studies.

      I hope that helps.

      Paul Anderson

      John, Jesus, and History; Vol. 1, Critical Appraisals of Critical Views

      Contents:

      Prologue: Critical Views of John, Jesus, and History -- Paul N. Anderson.......1

      Part 1: Introductory Matters

      Introduction: The John, Jesus, and History Project -- Tom Thatcher.............9
      Why This Study Is Needed, and Why It Is Needed Now -- Paul N. Anderson........13

      Part 2: Reviews of the Literature: How Did John Become the “Spiritual” Gospel?

      The Dehistoricizing of the Gospel of John -- Robert Kysar.....................75
      The “Spiritual Gospel”: How John the Theologian Writes History -- Marianne Meye Thompson...103
      The De-Johannification of Jesus: The Revisionist Contribution of Some Nineteenth-Century German Scholarship -- Jack Verheyden........................................ 109
      The De-Johannification of Jesus: The Twentieth Century and Beyond -- Mark Allan Powell.... 121
      The Challenge of the Balkanization of Johannine Studies -- D. A. Carson..... 133

      Part 3: Disciplinary Approaches to the Issues: Grinding New Lenses and Gaining New Insights

      John: A Source for Jesus Research? -- D. Moody Smith........................ 165

      “We Know That His Testimony Is True”: Johannine Truth Claims and Historicity -- Andrew T. Lincoln.... 179
      New Historicism and the Historical Jesus in John: Friends or Foes? -- Colleen M. Conway... 199
      John’s Literary Unity and the Problem of Historicity -- Gilbert Van Belle with Sydney Palmer... 217
      Memory Holds the Key: The Transformation of Memory in the Interface of History and Theology in John -- John Painter........ 229

      Part 4: Ways Forward: A Case Study

      The Historical Jesus, the Scene in the Temple, and the Gospel of John -- Paula Fredriksen.... 249
      On Deal-Breakers and Disturbances -- Mark Allan Powell...................... 277

      Part 5: Concluding Matters
      Getting a “Sense of the Meeting”: Assessments and Convergences -- Paul N. Anderson... 285
      Epilogue: Where Do We Go from Here? -- Felix Just, S.J...................... 291