5519Re: [John_Lit] 4G Redactors

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Dec 4, 2006
      At 09:51 PM 12/1/2006 +0000, Kym Smith wrote:
      >An even more appropriate text is Luke 1:1. There the 'many have
      >undertaken to compile a (single) narrative'. The common view of this
      >is that many attempts to write gospels had preceded Luke's but the
      >grammar - and Luke is known for his excellent Greek - only indicates a
      >single narrative. It is my view that the 'many' did cooperate to
      >produce a single narrative - I would not be the first to suggest this.

      Yes, for example, William R. Farmer, THE SYNOPTIC PROBLEM (2d ed.;
      Dilsboro, N.C.: Western North Carolina Press, 1976), 222. However,
      this may be an instance of a "distributive singular," which occurs
      in Luke-Acts with some frequency (see BDF ยง 140), so I would not
      press this grammatical point too hard.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...