5516Re: [John_Lit] 4G Redactors

  • Fabbri Marco
    Dec 1, 2006
      Dear Kym:

      your quotation of Acts is appropriate.

      We have a letter, written by somebody, possibly under dication, to reflect
      the agreement of the Council, that is quoted as a document in the book of
      the Acts, that is not written by a council.

      I don't deny that people can work cooperatively. They can do this in various
      ways. But in the antiquity this was done orally. Written texts are written
      by individuals, that can take full advantage of the work of the group.

      Today we have wikis, that allow cooperative writing. In the antiquity
      writing was a very slow process, that lead to a single manuscript. The
      manuscript then had to be copied, and this is slow, too. Modifications could
      be done, but other people woulnd't know about them until the modified text
      was copied and distributed. There was no multiple access to the same text.

      Printed texts were a revolution. Digital text are a revolution. We should be
      careful not to bring our habits back to the time when a book was written and
      copied by hand.

      At least, this is my view. I am open to change my mind, if evidence from
      ancient texts requires that.

      Marco

      --
      Prof. Marco V. Fabbri