5100Re: Two burial stories

  • RevMikeB
    Jan 30, 2005
      <<<It is true that a large number of events were invented after the
      death of Jesus in order to prove that he was, in his earthly life,
      the Son of God of the Easter revelation. But the Jews' request to
      have the bodies removed from public sight does not fall into this
      category.>>>

      Would it not be too much of a coincidence to think that John ch 2
      with the water changing into wine could come from a signs source and
      the piercing of the side with water and blood flowing out could be
      from a completely different source (Passion Narrative?)? It is too
      big of a coincidence to me to think that one or the other is not the
      work of the Evangelist in some way. The same could be said
      concerning the Evangelist's view in ch 9 of the Sabbath and its
      connection with Ch 19:31-34, especially how Jesus' comments in the
      former passage become fulfilled in the latter. (I explained this in
      an earlier post.)

      In fact, I think the Evangelist had a heavy hand in the
      miracles/signs of ch 2, 9, and in 19:31-34. So I disagree with your
      statement above concerning the historicity of the Jews' request of
      the bodies.

      Now if you said that the report of the broken legs of the two
      criminals is accurate, I would agree with you. And as I said
      earlier, 36-37 is likely the addition of the Redactor.

      Concerning the historicity of John's portrayal of Jesus, I would
      phrase it differently than "a large number of events were invented
      after the death of Jesus in order to prove that he was, in his
      earthly life, the Son of God of the Easter revelation." I would
      rather say that the Evangelist believed the Resurrected Lord was in
      him through the Advocate (14:16), and freely spoke on the Lord's
      behalf. J Louis Martyn was right to suggest that there is a two
      level drama in the Gospel, and that each actor "is actually a pair
      of actors playing two parts simultaneously." The Evangelist, as did
      Jesus, addressed real life problems. He witnessed that the
      Resurrected Lord was still there for the Johannine community of
      faith. I would be hesitant to say "a large number of events were
      invented" without clarifying that the Johannine community was living
      and experiences many of these events that are recorded. I think this
      is a point that deserves attention, so the word "invent" doesn't do
      justice in explaining his true intentions, in my humble opinion.

      A large portion of the Fourth Gospel does resembles a court of law
      and is apologetic concerning the identity of Jesus, the Son of Man.
      That I will grant. And it does appear the Gospel went through a
      couple of decades or more of adaptations to address changing life
      circumstances of the community.

      Peace,
      RevMikeB
      A Young Pastor of a Small Church