4623Re: [John_Lit] Acts 7 speech and 4G convergences?

  • Bill Bullin
    Apr 14, 2004
      Acts 7 speech and 4G convergences?

      > Is anyone on list aware of convergences between Stephen's speech in
      > Acts 7 and 4G? These could be structural, thematic, verbal, whatever.
      > If anyone is aware of such convergences, could you be so kind as to
      > recommend some authors who have dealt with these?
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > David

      If I am correct in my hypothesis that 4G is best understood as a 'Wisdom
      Gospel' then Acts 6:3 taken with Acts 7:9 may be of significance, perhaps
      related to the Spirit or else the 'Spirit of Wisdom' (cf.. Wisdom 10:13-14.
      If there is Josephian typology in all four Gospels (Bread and Wine // Baker
      and Butler, perhaps with Joseph and Jesus as suffering servant types), then
      there may be a link between Acts 7:14-16 and John 20:15. There is also the
      shared theme of 'glory' (cf. Acts 7:2), Moses; antipathy towards the
      Jerusalem Temple; emphasis on 'tabernacle' (Johannine Prologue // Acts
      7:49-50 etc.); merkavah mysticism (Acts 7:56 and John 1:51; 12:28, 41). I
      would argue that there is also a link with 1 Corinthians and that the common
      source is the Palestinian Greek Christians who provided much of the source
      material adopted and adapated by Luke. This would account for the gematria
      underlying Peter's Speech in Acts 2:14b-36 with a count of 888, two halves
      of 444, Iesous Christos (Iesous 27 x 37 + Christos 40 x 37), the split
      occuring between "..you crucified and killed by the hands of those outside
      the law /// but God raised him up." Incidentally I suppose 4G and Acts 7
      share the common charge of being anti-semitic, (from which I believe they
      should both be aquitted).

      I am afraid I know of no competent numerical analysis of Stephen's Speech
      and have yet to have a go at it myself. On the Fourth Gospel, A. Q. Morton
      and J. McLeman, The Genesis of John, St Andrew's Press,(1980), make a superb
      job of arguing that the original (autograph) text of John was in codex form.
      I note with interest that they also mention that there would have been 28
      lines to a page (28 is a perfect number, that is the sum of its divisors,
      1+2+4+7+14,
      but also the seventh triangular number, cf. R. Bauckham, Climax of Prophecy,
      384 ff on the significance of triangle numbers of which Genesis 1:1 is the
      major example), 28 being the number of times Lamb is referred to in the
      Apocalypse cf R. Bauckham, Theology of Revelation, CUP, 66; they also argue
      that the number of letters per line would have been 21, combining the
      numbers 3 and 7 (perhaps relating to the genmatria of chokmah 37 but also 73
      and Logos 373). Morton and McLeman's findings appear to be little known
      outside Scotland, but I find them well argued and particularly interesting
      to me because they do not mention analysis by gematria at all, but are
      rather concerned with Johannine source analysis along the lines of Robert
      Fortna. They build on the work of Prof. G.H.C. Macgregor and the data
      analysis tools of Prof. Sidney Micholson. I think it is a great pity their
      book is not better known in Europe, S.E. Asia, and other centres of
      Johannine study.

      I trust these comments will be af assistance to you.

      Bill Bullin (Private Student, East Sussex).
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic