4154Re: [John_Lit] Re: Oral Tradition

  • Bill Bullin
    Feb 2, 2004
      Dear Peter,

      Thank you for your valuable reference which I will follow up.

      It is interesting that Schell was not recognised by his colleagues;
      I don't suppose he advocated the primacy of 4G as well did he?!!!

      More seriously I do think my brief notes on 1 Cor. 8:6, Mark 4: 13-20 and
      the Johannine Prologue
      have major implications for:

      (1) New Testament christology and its roots in history;
      (2) Johannine priority;
      (3) Inter communal textual communication during the production of the
      Gospels.

      If Mark 4: 13-20 could be shown to be a likely pericope from Johannine
      circles,
      it would demonstrate that the(se) Johannine circles(s) knew at least one the
      parables of Jesus
      but the Evangelist / B. D. chose not to incorporate it for some reason.

      With regard to the Prologue, the central word of the 373 words of 10-14 is,
      significantly I think, 'Name'
      rather than 'children of God' as in Alan Culpepper's analysis:
      'The Pivot of John's Prologue' NTS 27 (80/81), 1-31.
      I think NAME is extremely relevant to this christological Prologue
      and that it rings bells with the core of the Carmen Christi. Interesting too
      is the fact that the Prologue
      contains between 1117 and 1121 Greek letters whilst 373 x 3 is 1119
      whilst the gematria of the six words of the Shema amounts to 1118.

      I appreciate your response.

      Best wishes Peter.

      Bill Bullin (Private Student, East Sussex, England).

      Post Script: Can anyone *help* me with the letter count of the Prologue:

      There are two variant readings; the first (3-4) does not affect letter
      counts, only the division of the sentence.
      The second variant (vs. 15), relates to two words but only the difference of
      1, in a letter count terms.

      It is also necessary to take into account that the text would originally
      have been written in unicals.
      There are either two or three examples of the iota subscript in my Greek
      text (vs. 1, 2, ARXH) and (vs. 5 TH).

      What are the actual letter counts for the Prologue in the major Greek
      codicies?

      Greetings.

      Bill Bullin (East Sussex, England).

      > One last remark to "Oral Tradition":
      > Dear Bill Bullin,
      > If you are interested in this issue of mysticism of numbers in NT, this
      > is not at all new. Already Claus Schedl, Professor of Old Testament
      > and comparative Religion at the University of Graz (Austria), who died
      > already may be 20 years ago, has intensively worked on this phenomenon,
      > especially on NT and Qumran texts. You will find more information under
      > his name by Google. He was a extremely educated person, but, of course,
      > not recognised by his collegues.
      > Best wishes
      > Peter Hofrichter

      > > From: John E Staton
      >
      > >> Peter, I note you have still not answered my question ...As to
      > >> whether the
      > >> sources of the gospels were written or oral, I will leave others to
      > > comment.
      > >
      > > Bill wrote: Dear John
      > >
      > > If I may squeeze a brief comment in between the 'colliding plates' of
      > > oral
      > > and literary
      > > New Testament 'techtonics': what if some Johannine and other material,
      > > transmitted orally,
      > > was first 'sealed before delivery' with a 'security tag' so to speak.
      > > Perhaps the tag also served a deeply medative purpose. etc.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic