3037Re: [John_Lit] A Proposed Re-construction of a Postulated Hymn-li ke Composition

  • kymhsm <khs@picknowl.com.au>
    Feb 2, 2003
      Dear Mary,

      <<< I have also noted strong similarlities - at least structurally -
      between Genesis 1 and the Prologue... my questions began
      with the double use of John the Baptist>>>

      John the Baptist is introduced into the Prologue precisely
      because of the Genesis structure. The reason John is
      mentioned in what seems a most inappropriate place is
      because with him - though it is not stated till later in the first
      chapter – is the next part of the Genesis pattern. John had more
      to say about the Word / Jesus, and he returned to it, but his
      mentioning John exactly where he did in the first part of the
      Prologue - and he returns to him in the second part to ensure
      that he is still in mind – is because what the Baptist witnessed
      is
      what John used to continue the Genesis structure. What John
      had to match next was, `and the Spirit of God was moving over
      the face of the waters.' It was John who saw the Spirit of God
      hovering/moving/descending over the waters of the Jordan. See
      an abbreviated comparison below.

      GEN - [1] In the beginning
      JOHN - [1] In the beginning
      GEN - God
      JOHN - was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word
      was God. [2] He was in the beginning with God;
      GEN - created the heavens and the earth.
      JOHN - [3] all things were made through him, and without him
      was not anything made that was made.
      GEN - [2] The earth was without form and void, and darkness
      was upon the face of the deep;
      JOHN - [4] In him was life, and the life was the light of men. [5]
      The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not
      overcome it.
      GEN - and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the
      waters.
      JOHN - [6] There was a man sent from God, whose name was
      John. [7] He came for testimony, to bear witness to the light, that
      all might believe through him. [8] He was not the light, but came
      to bear witness to the light…. [31] I myself did not know him;
      but
      for this I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to
      Israel." [32] And John bore witness, "I saw the Spirit descend as
      a dove from heaven, and it remained on him. [33] I myself did not
      know him; but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me,
      `He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he
      who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.' [34] And I have seen and have
      borne witness that this is the Son of God."

      Sincerely,

      Kym Smith
      Adelaide
      South Australia