2830RE: [John_Lit] John and the Synoptics

    Sep 4, 2002
      Dear Sean and others,

      You're welcome, Sean. I indeed would like to review it (and will discuss that with you privately), but for the benefit of others on this list, here's the blurb I prepared for Mellen Press (needless to say, I'm very impressed):

      > "Covering the extensive secondary literature on the Gospel of John is a

      > major endeavor, attempted by a few and accomplished by still fewer. Sean

      > Kealy's exhaustive treatment of nineteen centuries of Johannine

      > interpretation, however, does just that! Kealy not only analyzes

      > judiciously the best of modern Johannine interpretation, but he also

      > treats the reader to thoughtful analyses of the many ways the Fourth

      > Gospel has been interpreted and regarded from the second century on.

      > There is no treatment of Johannine scholarship like it--in any

      > language--and no serious Johannine library is complete without it.

      > Paul N. Anderson

      ***

      A second matter that may be of interest to members of our listserve is the lineup for the Johannine Literature Sections of the Toronto SBL sessions to be held from November 23-26. The registration information is available on the SBL website (http://www.sbl-site.org/Congresses/index.html), so if you'd like to attend, that site will provide the needed information.

      Monday, November 25th

      ===================================
      S25-62
      Johannine Literature Section
      1:00 PM - 3:30 PM

      Theme: Theme I (75 min): Review of Adele Reinhartz's "Befriending the Beloved Disciple: A Jewish Reading of the Gospel of John." New York: Continuum, 2001; Theme II (75 min) Current Issues in the Gospel of John

      Felix Just, Loyola Marymount University, Presiding
      Francisco Lozada, Univ Of The Incarnate Word, Panelist
      Francis J Moloney, Catholic University Of America, Panelist
      Sarah J Tanzer, Mccormick Theological Seminary, Panelist
      Adele Reinhartz, Wilfred Laurier University
      Robert Kysar, Emory University
      Expulsion from the Synagogue: A Tale of a Theory <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=948&Last_Name=Kysar&First_Name=Robert')>
      Break/recess ,
      D Moody Smith, Duke University Divinity School, Respondent
      Gail R O'day, Emory Univ Candler Sch Of Theo, Respondent

      Tuesday, November 26th

      ===================================
      S26-10
      Johannine Literature Section
      9:00 AM - 11:30 AM

      Colleen Conway, Seton Hall University, Presiding
      Stan Harstine, Baylor University
      Mysticism in the Fourth Gospel: An Evaluation of Research and its Implications <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=589&Last_Name=Harstine&First_Name=Stan')> (25 min)
      Turid Karlsen Seim, University Of Oslo
      The Child-Bearing God <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=1640&Last_Name=Seim&First_Name=Turid Karlsen')>
      Henry Sturcke, Universitat Zurich
      Anonymity in the Fourth Gospel: Arisen by any other name <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=1584&Last_Name=Sturcke&First_Name=Henry')> (25 min)
      Jeffrey S Siker, Loyola Marymount University
      "Johannine Redefinitions of Sin" <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=268&Last_Name=Siker&First_Name=Jeffrey S')> (25 min)
      Mary L Coloe, Australian Catholic Univ
      Anointing the New Temple (John 12:1-8) <javascript:openWindow('AM_abstract.php3?Proposal_ID=32&Last_Name=Coloe&First_Name=Mary L')> (25 min)

      ***

      All the best!

      Paul Anderson
      Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
      George Fox University
      Newberg, OR 97132