2406water jugs (Re: Jesus and JB in Jn

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Mar 3, 2002
      On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Paul Schmehl wrote:

      > I am not convinced that "shorter" or "less developed" equates to
      > antiquity. It could equate to a damaged exemplar, a lazy scribe,
      > intentional shortening,

      Dear Paul,

      Could you please suggest some reason why the author of the Magdalene
      Gospel would have intentionally replaced "20 or 30 gallon" jugs with "3
      gallon" jugs?

      > and a host of other possibilities. In an earlier post you stated
      > something to the effect that the "shorter reading rule" was an
      > accepted fact of TC. That "fact" is now being questioned, and I think
      > there are cases where the shortening is quite possibly deliberate.
      > In any case, I certainly don't think it's as cut and dried as you seem
      > to think it is.

      Actually, I'm in basic agreement with you here. While the "shorter reading
      rule" is indeed a widely accepted rule of TC today, myself, I do see some
      considerable limitations of this. In fact, recently I've been moving
      closer to the Byzantine text supporters, who, of course, have challenged
      this rule.

      And yet, at the same time, this particular case of Jn 2:6 is not
      necessarily relevant to this. Because here it's the size of the jugs that
      is mostly in question, rather than the reading just being shorter or
      longer.

      Regards,

      Yuri.

      equivalent to becoming God -=O=- Julian