1984RE: RE: [John_Lit] The use of FG in times like these

  • Mark Goodacre
    Oct 3, 2001
      On 2 Oct 2001, at 17:06, Staley, Jeffrey wrote:

      > Does anyone know of a particularly Johannine Jesus movie (the
      > "Cottonpatch Gospel is John and Matthew)?
      >
      > Ironically, I use the "Last Temptation of Christ" for John, since the
      > focus is so much on the cross, the father/son relationship, the
      > beloved disciple (here Judas, the woman caught in adultery. Johannine
      > signs are the raising of Lazarus and wedding at Cana.

      I reckon Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth comes closest, especially in
      Robert Powell's portrayal of Jesus. Powell never blinks and
      somehow that reminds me of John's Jesus. The Passion Narrative
      features several distinctly Johannine elements too. I can see what
      you mean about Last Temptation, but the portrayal of Jesus is
      surely the antithesis of John's Jesus, isn't it?

      Mark
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
      Birmingham B15 2TT
      United Kingdom

      http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
      Homepage