1982Re: RE: [John_Lit] The use of FG in times like these

    Oct 2, 2001
      johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >For class entitled "Hollywood Jesus," today I re-viewed the film
      >"Godspell"
      >and was immediately struck by the opening image of the film: John the
      >Baptist crossing the Brooklyn?? Bridge, with the WTC twin towers in the
      >background. In case you have forgotten, that entire film was shot in
      >NYC--most of it with an empty city, except for the beginning and end,
      >where
      >crowds abound. At the end, as Jesus' corpse is carried through NYC, the
      >disciples sing the refrain "long live God"--and the city comes
      >alive--pretty
      >moving image in light of last month's events.
      >
      >Although the following poem is long, it evokes many biblical metaphors of
      >buildings, and eventually you will find one powerful image drawn from the
      >textually suspect Jn 8:1-11. My point of sharing it with the Johannine
      >lit
      >group is that one sees here a poet's recent attempt to bring biblical
      >metaphors to bear (pun intended) on the heavy burden of the events of
      >Sept.
      >11.
      >
      >Jeff Staley

      Thanks, Jeff, it makes me want to go see that film again. For my
      Historical Jesus seminar that I taught at YDS three years ago we worked
      hard on the recent scholarly literature in class, but we designed eveining
      film experiences -- organized and led by students -- around seven Jesus
      movies (Godspell, King of Kings, The Gospel According to St. Matthew, The
      Last Temptation of Christ, Jesus of Montreal, The Cottonpatch Gospel, and
      Phenomenon). It was a really engaging experience.

      Does anyone know of a particularly Johannine Jesus movie (the "Cottonpatch
      Gospel is John and Matthew)?

      Paul Anderson
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic