1890Re: [John_Lit] Beloved Disciple passages in ms Pepys

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Aug 12 2:51 PM
      On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, John N. Lupia wrote:
      > --- In johannine_literature@y..., Yuri Kuchinsky <yuku@t...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, John Lupia wrote:

      > > > Yuri, the woman doorkeeper mentioned in John 18,16 was typical
      > during > > this period

      > > John, I wonder what is the basis for your view that a girl would
      > normally > be given the job of guarding the doors of such an important
      > personage as > Caiaphas.

      > Yuri, the Book of Job, written between 600-450 BC evidences the
      > Palestinian custom of female doorkeepers. For example, Samuel L.
      > Terrien, Job.(Neuchatel, Editions Delachaux & Niestle,1963) dates it
      > to 575 BC If Terrien's dating is correct then female doorkeepers in
      > Israel had a history for at least 600 years from the Book of Job to
      > St. John's Gospel where he mentions a female doorkeeper.

      John,

      Actually, this is more commonly known as the Testament of Job. Bankole
      Davies-Browne argues that it is a Christian work,

      Testament of Job
      http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_sd/tjob.html

      > Job 2, 7 The Evil One, having failed in this, went away and took
      > upon his shoulder an old, torn basket and went in and spoke to
      > the doorkeeper saying: "Tell Job : Give me bread from thine
      > hands that I may eat". 8 And when I heard this, I gave her burnt
      > bread to give it to him, and I made known to him : "Expect not to
      > eat of my bread, for it is forbidden to thee". 9 But the door-keeper,
      > being ashamed to hand him the burnt and ashy bread, as she
      > did not know that it was Satan, took of her own fine bread and
      > gave it to him. 10 But he took it and, knowing what occured, said
      > to the maiden : "Go hence, bad servant, and bring me the bread
      > that was given thee to hand to me". "

      There are a number of questions about this passage, and about this whole
      text more generally and its dating. For example, one may suppose that the
      detail about replacing inedible bread with good bread would presuppose a
      female servant doing it. So then the female doorkeeper would be more or
      less required by the logic of this story.

      Again, Job of the story seems to be just a regular middle-class citizen,
      so it would not be surprising that a female servant has the job of opening
      the door in his household.

      Best,

      Yuri.

      it is time to reform -=O=- Mark Twain