Open Letter from Patrick Pink

  • trnd63
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
      To Simon Jordan and Nick Moran,
      I am writing this letter to tell you how disgusted I am with your movie Telstar. For the past 42 years, people have worked very hard to keep Joe's name and reputation in the public consciousness and I feel you have undone all that hard work in 120 minutes.
      I am extremely upset by the way you have chosen to portray my character. The fact that you both lied to me barefaced is inexcusable. On the day of filming, you assured me there would be "no pyjama scenes" (since you knew this had bothered me in the play) and lo and behold, there was a pajama scene and more. I do not take kindly to your insuations that I had a sexual relationship with Joe Meek. To me he was my employer and my friend only. I have stated this unequivocally many times and in many ways. Contrary to what you may believe, homosexual men are capable of forming platonic friendships. This is not 'artistic license' this is character assassination. To you, the Joe Meek story is a cash cow. To me, Joe Meek is my life and I relive what happened every day of my life. What you have done has made it worse for me. The way you have portrayed me is beyond hurtful, it is unforgiveble.It looks like I have given you my blessing to distort the truth the way you have. If I had known how you were going to portray me, I would not have consented to appear in the film.
      The film implies that I was plying Joe with drugs. This never happened.
      I never went on holiday with Joe, in fact I never had a British passport until 1967. You know as well as I know, the person who appeared in the beach film footage with Joe was Andy Cavell. It was Terry O'Neil who went to Spain with Joe in 1965, if my memory serves me correct. I don't believe that you portraying me as Joe's lover had any point whatsoever. We get it, Joe was gay--so why couldn't you have showed him cavorting with any other guy-- (preferably a nameless person so no one would get hurt) why did it have to be me? This cheapens the relationship I had with Joe. He was like a father figure to me, a mentor, how could you portray it like this?
      I was upset with the scene of my character holding a gun to Heinz's head. This implied that I knew the gun was there when Joe was acting manically. This also means I could have 'stopped him' if I wanted to. As I have said many times, I did not know of the gun's existence. If I had, maybe history would have been very different.
      As for the final scene, you have bastarized history. Not only were you content to destroy the character of the only person who was true to Joe and had to witness two deaths that day, you had to sink to a new level with that final kiss which (thank god) true music historians knew never happened.
      Joe Meek was a wonderful person, capable of extraordinary kindnesses. You got his character totally wrong. He appears to be a bastard from beginning to end. Unfortunately, history will now quote your film as the benchmark for Joe Meek. In my opinion you have destroyed the reputation of one of music history's most gifted record producers.
      These are just a few of my gripes. I could go on and on but I am quite content to leave it at that for now. I demand a public apology. I know a lot of people have been hurt by this film, but it is up to them to speak for themselves. I'm very sorry that Joe Meek can't.

      Signed,

      Patrick Pink (AKA ) Robbie Duke.
    • craig newton
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
        Right on Robbie, perfectly said. Thanks for posting this Chris, Robbie is spot on. A lot of people have worked very hard for years to get Joe seen in a positive light, and this film has wiped all that out completely. Several people have been very badly portrayed in this film not just Joe, it does nothing for his or their reputation whatsoever.

        The more and more reviews I read of this film it reminds me of more points about it which I did not like and had forgotten about. I have met Con and Nick and after speaking to them I was so sure that after consulting the Meek family, and speaking to us the real fans that they would do our man proud, they have not.

        When you mention Joe to people now, all they say is yeah that gay pill popping murderer. They can't take Joe seriously.

        To: joemeek@yahoogroups.com
        From: trnd63@...
        Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 18:13:12 +0000
        Subject: [joemeek] Open Letter from Patrick Pink

[...]

        View your Twitter and Flickr updates from one place - Learn more!
      • trnd63
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
          Craig, I have posted on a certain persons twofacedbook like yer do! Looks like I touched a nerve or two here I seem to have been blocked from this open fan club of his....result....
          I'm in full support of Patrick, on another forum where it appeared all they can post is trivialised crap. So many Joe Meek "fans" who know sweet fanny adams and go with the flo. I'm a stirrer because I don't take crap, sometimes talk it but with an element of truth.
          Take John's book "so many if's" even in death RIP is a no no he is in denial what if Moran was teetotal and always used the tube.....
          They couldn't even make a soundtrack of any worth.
          Just put on Fort Knox this IS 304 not the fake one up the road!
          Chris
          --- In joemeek@yahoogroups.com, craig newton <craignewton81@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > Joe Meek was a wonderful person, capable of extraordinary kindnesses. You got his character totally wrong. He appears to be a bastard from beginning to end. Unfortunately, history will now quote your film as the benchmark for Joe Meek. In my opinion you have destroyed the reputation of one of music history's most gifted record producers.
          >
          > These are just a few of my gripes. I could go on and on but I am quite content to leave it at that for now. I demand a public apology. I know a lot of people have been hurt by this film, but it is up to them to speak for themselves. I'm very sorry that Joe Meek can't.
          >

          > Signed,
          >

          > Patrick Pink (AKA ) Robbie Duke.

          > MSN straight to your mobile - news, entertainment, videos and more.

        • Les Fradkin

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
              Thanks to Les and Craig I'm sure Patrick will be delighted that he has some support from this forum, let's not forget John and his case.
              Hope they are both successful.
              Chris