Re: DecoderPro 3 vs DecoderPro

  • ncliffe2001
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2012
      --- In jmriusers@yahoogroups.com, "jngeddes" <jngeddes@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Can someone point me at a quick explanation of the differences
      > between DecoderPro 3 and DecoderPro. I have been away from
      > JRMI for a couple of years and have noted the introduction of
      > DP3 but have not been able to find any explanation of if vs
      > the original DP on the website.

      DP3 is primarily a different front end for managing your loco fleet. It was introduced to make it easier to manage a roster of locomotives, to make some roster management features more apparent (and thus usable), and to remove some obselete options which only serve to confuse the vast majority of users. It also has a new "first time use" install/setup wizard which ought to help new users get their system connection right first time.

      Once at the programming screens for setting values in decoders, the two are identical.

      The DP3 start icon only loads a subset of JMRI features; those relevant to decoder programming. Whereas PanelPro (and old DecoderPro) launched absolutely everything. If wanting access to the DP3 features from other areas of JMRI, they are on the "file" menu of PanelPro or DecoderPro.

      In time, the "DecoderPro" start icon will probably disappear. It's not part of the default installation if you do a brand new installation. But for existing users, the old DecoderPro icon will stay on your machine and any updates will also update the DecoderPro icon to the current version. (Clever or accident ? You decide... )

      > Can you run both? or with one interfere with the other?

      Yes, but not at the same time on Windows. Only one JMRI application at a time or Windows has a sulk about two or more programs trying to talk on the same communications link.

      > Last night after running DP3, it tried to initiate DP
      > but it did not seem to run correctly. Do they share the
      > same preference files?

      No, the Preferences are separate.
      They do share a common Roster of your locomotives (at least that is the case unless you do something in Preferences to change it)

      > Sorry if this is a repeated question -- pls just point me at an old thread if it is. Searching on DP3 returns so many hits that I could not find the original discussions around its introduction.
      >
      > Best,
      > John Geddes
      > Vancouver

    • Norman Beveridge
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2012
        I find the new version to deliver on the promise below quite nicely. I like it!

        > DP3 is primarily a different front end for managing your loco fleet. It was introduced to make it easier to manage a roster of locomotives, to make some roster management features more apparent (and thus usable),
      • Stephen Tripptree
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2012
          when i got my intermountain es44dc i wanted to play with it in decoder pro, but DP did not recognize or have the ES44 files.  So i downloaded DP3 and wahlah, everything was updated.

          Stephen T.

          I find the new version to deliver on the promise below quite nicely. I like it!

          > DP3 is primarily a different front end for managing your loco fleet. It was introduced to make it easier to manage a roster of locomotives, to make some roster management features more apparent (and thus usable),

        • Dave Heap
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8, 2012
            They keep separate preference files, but share the same roster, decoder definitions, etc. They are both different interfaces to the same code. They do not play together well if you try to run both at once.

            I now like the DP3 interface (the first few demos had a few issues - like trying to fit everything into one window, but these have been resolved) and use it almost exclusively.

            There are a some things that are accessible only from DP2, but I hope that in time they will be available from the DP3 interface, maybe in an Extras or Advanced menu.

            Sent from my iPad
            --
            Dave in Australia

            On 09/04/2012, at 1:40 AM, "jngeddes" <jngeddes@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Can someone point me at a quick explanation of the differences between DecoderPro 3 and DecoderPro. I have been away from JRMI for a couple of years and have noted the introduction of DP3 but have not been able to find any explanation of if vs the original DP on the website.
            >
            > Can you run both? or with one interfere with the other? Last night after running DP3, it tried to initiate DP but it did not seem to run correctly. Do they share the same preference files?
            >
            > Sorry if this is a repeated question -- pls just point me at an old thread if it is. Searching on DP3 returns so many hits that I could not find the original discussions around its introduction.
            >
            > Best,
            > John Geddes
            > Vancouver

          • PaDanby
            Message 5 of 8 , May 10, 2012
              I sat down at the club computer the other night and saw a new DP3 icon so I clicked it. I just wanted to check out a few of my engines and change some light values. It appeared that it wouldn't do anything until I added the engine to a roster. And apparently only to the club master roster. As I didn't want to take the time to do that I went back and manually read and made changes via the throttle and a programming track.

              So does DP3 require all engines to be on a roster before making changes or is it just the way my club "experts" have configured the program.

              (If that is a feature, I'm sure that the guys using DP3 at a meet to ensure all engines are properly addressed will be just thrilled.)
            • Walter Thompson
              Message 6 of 8 , May 10, 2012
                Stephen:
                The clue in you stamtent is "So i downloaded DP3". That installed newer decoder xml's. DecoderPro would also have worked at that point. By the way DP3 is part of the download, install of JMRI.
                Walt

                Message 7 of 8 , May 11, 2012
                  Just click the 'New Loco' button at the top left of the DecoderPro 3 window and you will see the familiar interface from DecoderPro 2. By the way, I'm using 2.99.4.

                  Or, if you just click the 'Identify' button it will give you the loco address in a dialog box.

                  Same beast, different skin.

                  Sent from my iPad
                  --
                  Dave in Australia